One question we get a lot from clients is how to setup a blog. The initial setup of a WordPress blog (the most popular content manager on the web) can actually be really quick and easy, providing that you pick the right host.
To rewind a little, a web host is the web service that will keep all your website data files. So when someone types in your blog URL into their browser, it will get directed to a web host, and displayed on your browser.
As a blog consultant and designer, we do a lot of WordPress installations… easily in the thousands since we started. 95% of our installations are with a web hosting company called Bluehost. Why Bluehost? We find them reliable, cost efficient, and it has a super easy method of setting up a WordPress blog. So easy in fact that you can have a blog up and running with a click of a button and waiting about 3 minutes. No mess, no fuss. We like them so much that we are using them right now on this website that you are on!
Next question is why WordPress? Simple, because it’s the most popular blog software, perhaps the easiest to use, and to top it off – it’s free! Furthermore, WordPress is well supported by the community, super customizable, and built with search engine optimization in mind.
So now that you understand that Bluehost + WordPress = Powerful Blog, let’s get into the details of how you can set up your blog even without technical knowledge. Is it as easy as 1-2-3.
Step 1 – Sign up for a Bluehost account
This step is simply setting up a Bluehost account.
- Go to the Bluehost website, and choose a plan. We recommend either the plus or prime plan.
- All Bluehost plans come with a domain name (ie. www.yourblog.com). After you choose your plan, you get to choose your domain name.
- Following your domain name, you’ll need to fill out your address info, and payment information. You’ll see some package extras such as Domain Privacy (we like this one), Site Backup Pro (you can install your own within WordPress), Search Engine Jumpstart (optional but not necessary in our opinion), SiteLock Security (optional but not necessary in our opinion).
Step 2 – Setup WordPress
Once you have your Bluehost account setup, setting up your blog from here will take less than 3 minutes.
- Login to your Bluehost account
- Click on the “Hosting” Tab at the top of the page, then “Website”.
- In the “WordPress” box, click “Install Now”.
- In the next window, you can now click “Install”, select your domain, then click “Install Now”.
- Wait for the installation to complete and you’ve setup your WordPress blog!
Step 3 – Customize/Design your Blog
WordPress has a lot of options for the design of your blog, and a number of free themes available. We encourage you to take a look at the free options to see what is out there.
You can access your admin panel of your blog by going to: www.yourblog.com/wp-admin. Replace yourblog with the domain name that you chose when you setup your Bluehost account.
If you would like to discuss a custom design, please contact us to discuss how we can work together. Also, mention that you signed up with Bluehost via this article and get $100 off your customized blog design.